Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye chapters 1-6

I'm actually kind of enjoying The Catcher in the Rye. Its a little more relatable than the Odyssey, which is nice. I don't think Holden is stupid, I actually think he's smart. He reminds me of my brother. The kind of person that is intelligent, but is uninterested or just doesn't care. I cannot stand Ackley. Bad personal hygiene just disgusts me. Especially teeth, something about really plaque covered teeth. I also wondered why Holden puts up with Ackley. If he's so gross and annoying and gross, why does he talk to him and ask him out to dinner? Holden might have ADHD. Specifically when he's writing, he gets distracted easily with side stories, like the farting in chapel. He also mentioned that he acts like he's twelve, which is a symptom of ADHD. Another reason Holden is like my brother, my brother acts like he's twelve and he has ADHD. Maybe that's why my brother liked this book so much.  

2 comments:

  1. I really can't stand Ackley, either. I guess Holden doesn't have that many people he can talk to,and maybe he really does feel bad that Ackley is so bored that he talks to him. That's something about Holden that frustrates me: why does he do these things? Anyway, I like your idea about him having ADHD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ackley is a very yucky person! Hmm, the ADHD thing is a good thought, but I don't know. Holden just seems like he doesn't want to apply himself and wants to get out of Pencey. But I too do not understand how he can tollerate Ackley and Stradlater, they just bug me!

    ReplyDelete