Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Odyssey XVIII-the end

I am really glad that I'm done reading the Odyssey. But perhaps even more glad Ulysses killed all the suitors. I thought it was kind of funny that he was the weak little beggar then turns around and shoots Antonious in the throat. I not a big fan of gore though so after that it wasn't really one of my favorite parts. After all the killing, I didn't really understand the part with the ghosts, what was it supposed to mean? I really don't like how Ulysses never tells people who he really is right away, not even his family after all the suitors are dead. I wasn't really happy with the ending. I like cliffhangers because I like to imagine what might happen next. But Homer really tied up ALL of his loose ends.

2 comments:

  1. I was also a little confused about the importance of the ghosts. What were the suitors doing with Agamemnon and Achilles? (I also find it annoying how the ghosts are no longer people, so they are referred to as 'it'.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like everyone is happy to be done with The Odyssey! I really agree with your views on the book except I actually enjoyed the gore very mcuh, but hey thats just me! Yes the ghosts were a little strange, but Homer seemed like a pretty weird guy to me... : )

    ReplyDelete