Unfortunately I was unable to read as much as I would like to this summer, but here are the most memorable.
A Separate Peace, by John Knowles: The story of A Separate Peace is of two prep school boys that are best friends that have their relationship and beliefs challenged when one pushes the other out of a tree. The fall costs him a broken leg and never being able to play sports again. I didn't enjoy the story of this book. Yet it was memorable because I spent most of the time reading it trying to match a mental illness with the main characters' symptoms.
The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak: I can honestly say this is one of the best books I've ever read. The book is narrated by Death himself and tells the story of the orphaned Leisel Memminger. A young girl in Nazi Germany. I loved Zusak's writing style is so fluent and unique. His descriptions are wonderful. The words 'I'm Sorry' are big and clumsy. The smell of pea soup and confrontation was in the air. Again, one of the best books I've ever read.
The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein: This is written from the point of veiw of a family's dog. The only one in the family that knows a family member has fatal brain cancer. It's a very good story that was unexpected and sees things how they are. I'm glad I read it.
I'll have to read the Stein book -- I love stories told from the dog's POV.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm wondering: were you able to diagnose the protagonist of A Separate Peace?
Wow! The Art of Racing in the Rain looks interesting. Is it really sad?
ReplyDeleteYou're the third person I know who read The Book Thief over the summer!
ReplyDelete